Re: KDE3.1, qt3.0.5 and GCC3.2???

On Mon 11 Nov 2002 14:00, Giles Constant wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Nov 2002, John Gay wrote:
> > I am getting ready to wipe my Debian Woody system and replace it with a
> > self-compiled Linux including the latest bells-N-whistles I could find.
>
> If you want to compile your entire system up yourself, you might want to
> look at gentoo (www.gentoo.org).  It's based on the BSD portage system, so
> it compiles absolutely everything when you install it.
>
> It took me from 10am until about 2am to get my Athlon-XP 1.8 running KDE
> from scratch, and it's still not quite how I want things, but it was worth
> it :-)  Everything was compiled with gcc-3.2 and -mcpu=athlon-xp, etc.

Yes, I'm familiar with Gentoo. And am looking forward to playing with portage
once Iv'e got my system going, but I'm on a 56k modem connection and have to
pay 0.01 Euro per minute evenings and weekends.

On hte other hand, I've a friend who's agreed to fetch a list of sources for
me and burn them to CD. Much cheaper option ;-)

Cheers,

	John Gay