Re: Just how long does it take to compile?

why don't you compile it on your faster hardware, and shift it over to the
slower machine for install?

                    John Gay
                    <johngay@eirc        To:     debian-kde@lists.debian.org
                    om.net>              cc:
                                         Subject:     Just how long does it take to compile?
                    15/07/02
                    20:34

I've been playing arould with Debain for several years now, but I've always

been aware of the delay between software release and Debian release,
especially when freeze is approching. I've been toying with the idea of
building my own custom box for a while, and since I have some spare
hardware
and several source tar balls around, I decided to give it a go.

Unfortunately, the box is rather old, 200Mhz Pentium MMX with 16M ram. I
installed a base Debian from Woody CD's and most of the development files.

Next, I compiled X4.2.0 from sources I have on CD to support my GVX1 card.

Now I am in the process of compiling KDE3. I say in the process, Actually
qt
libs have been compiling now for over 24 hours! I did have a problem with
memory limitations, and had to re-size both my root and swap partitions. I
realise 16M is far too little memory, but I am hoping that if I get this
box
running, I can swap it for my daughters box which has 64M of the same type
of
memory.

So, my question is, just how long can I expect the rest of KDE3 to take to
compile? Yes, I know I can now get unstable deb's, but I want to try it for

myself. The tar balls are from around Jan this year.

Cheers,

           John Gay

postmaster@scee.net

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for all known viruses.