RE: problem starting kde

I had to switch to USB mice/keyboards because my one of my cats pulled my
PS/2 connections out so hard that the sockets were loosened, and no longer
work.

When I first tried a USB mouse with Linux, I ran into this problem, and the
solution was to load a bewildering number (five?) of kernel modules.  I
won't pretend to understand why there are so many, and it doesn't seem to
matter what order to load them (other than kernel object-file dependencies),
but here's what I have currently loaded:

tim@golde (Mon Jul 15 11:47):/home/tim$ sudo lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: PF
loop                    8336   3  (autoclean)
mousedev                3904   1
usbmouse                1792   0  (unused)
usb-uhci               21860   0  (unused)
input                   3168   0  [mousedev usbmouse]
usbcore                28832   0  [usbmouse usb-uhci]

On my work machine (nearly identical, except that my PS/2 ports are not
damaged), I found I was able to use both a PS/2 and a USB mouse in the same
X session (multiple InputDevice sections in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, one for
/dev/psaux and another for /dev/input/mice).  One is a wheel mouse, and the
other is a plain-3 button.  I don't like the way the wheel feels when you
try to use it as a middle button, so I do switch off sometimes.

Tim

Timothy L. Jones - tjones@tsiconnections.com
<mailto:tjones@tsiconnections.com>
Software/SysEng III - ET/Query Apps Group
UNIX IS user friendly; it's just picky about who its friends are