Re: dialy wine: for woody?

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002, Derek Broughton wrote:

> >>I'd guess _not_!  Libc6 installs are always somewhat scary. I'm well
> >>and truly fsck'd after installing Mozilla from sid and getting
> >>libc6-2.3.1.  I can't go back to libc6-2.2.5, because KDM won't start
> >>anymore without 2.3, and I can't run anything in Java without 2.2.
> >

> > Um - my idea was that one first _checks_ what would get updated (by using
> > -s as in simulate) and then would decide if it's worth it. I'm running a
>
> Except you told him that the probable impact of installing libc6 itself,
> not its dependencies, would be minimal.

Maybe I did not express myself really well. Anyway I said "I guess". It's
"unstable" after all. Please accept my apology for not warning people that
their system might break.

> This is far from true.  I've _often_ had problems with unstable libc6
> installs.  It's true I let KDE/KDM get upgraded, and things would be
> simpler if I hadn't, but Java is broken purely by installing libc6.

Can't you downgrade again?

Btw. I've just upgraded libc6 from stable to unstable:

tpo@petertosh:~$ dpkg -s libc6 |grep Version
Version: 2.3.1-8

Everything still works - even java:

tpo@petertosh:~/src/_java$ javac hello.java
tpo@petertosh:~/src/_java$ java HelloWorldApp
Hello World!

tpo@petertosh:~/src/_java$ dpkg -s j2sdk1.3|grep Version
Version: 1.3.1-1

*t

--
  to s
    mam                          power corrupts