Re: How to get Anti-aliasing to work

>Hi,
>
>I suggest you do the following:
>
>apt-get source qt-x11-free
>(This downloads and uncompresses qt 3.0.5 which is recommended for KDE 3.0.5,
>You need to have e.g. the following line in your /etc/apt/sources.list
>deb src ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable/3.0.5/Debian/woody ./ )
>
>Then edit the file /debian/rules in your extracted qt-x11-free-3.0.5
>directory
>
>Search for the text "-no-xft" and replace it with -xft

Ok. I only deleted "-no-xft", but during configuration it showed xft enabled,
since it seems to be the default without "-no-xft"

>Do a dch -i if you want to increase the Debian version number (to distinguish
>the packages from the original ones), this is optional. dch is included in
>the package devscripts.
>
>run dpkg-buildpackage to create the debs and install them (dpkg-buildpackage
>is included in the package dpkg-dev).
>
>Note that it is not recommended to run XFree86 4.1.0 with xft (therefore it
>was disabled). Read the RELEASE-NOTES.woody in on your kde mirror e.g.
>http://ftp.du.se/pub/mirrors/kde/stable/3.0.5/Debian/woody/RELEASE-NOTES.woody

Ok. Installed XFree 4.2.0

However, even though dpkg is happy about dependencies, KDE won't start with my
compiled qt3 libs. KDM crashes on startup. Why is that?

>Nik
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > What version of QT does work well with debian and kde 3.0.5? Any URL about
> > recompile QT to get anti-aliasing?
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Albert
> >
> > Regnat Nikolaus dijo:

> > > Hello Thorsten,
> > >
> > > QT is compiled without xft support. You have to recompile QT and enable
> > > xft  support to get anti-aliasing to work.

I hope that means only the QT3 libraries, not the alll the apps as well.

So I still don't have anti-aliasing. Can anyone enlighten me to why kde apps
don't work with my comiled qt-libs?

TIA
Thorsten

PS: I also tried the qt3-libs of unstable (Version 3.0.4-5), but kde (kdm)
crashes with them too.
Also apt-get upgrade always goes back to the compiled qt3-libs from my
sources.list, even though they have the same version info as my compiled
ones. Why??