Problems with upgrading a fresh woody installtion to kde3

In upgrading a fresh woody binary installation (the default 2.4 kernel installation) from the Debian 3.0 CD, the kicker panel is trashed. I no longer have access to the Applications/Start menu, desktop-pager, or windows. The only non-standard thing I am running is a matrox 450 dual head.

I am not familiar with how to rebuild the menu entry or if an environment variable is broken. All and any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

                  …Carl