Re: KDE 3.0.4 and aRTs

On Monday 28 October 2002 08:14, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> måndagen den 28 oktober 2002 00.38 skrev Michael Schuerig:

> I included the following information in the man page for artswrapper:
>
> Since artswrapper is a potential security exploitation  risk,  it
> does not  have SUID turned on by default. To enable artswrapper one
> the fol- lowing has to be done:
>        1) To set artswrapper SUID with a mode of 4710.  This change
> will  dis- appear when the arts package is updated.
>        2) To make a permanet change with the following command:
>        dpkg-statoverride --add root audio 4710 /usr/bin/artswrapper
>
>        You  also  have  to add group audio to all users that should
> be able to use artswrapper to gain real-time priority.
>
> Does it sound all right?

Yes. Although I'd prefer a debconf-based solution. Doing the permission
and group changes as well as the statoverride manually probably exceeds
the abilities of most users.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig                  If at first you don't succeed...
mailto:schuerig@acm.org           try, try again.