Re: Ruminations on package locations

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 12:32:33PM +1300, Corrin Lakeland scrawled:
> On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:40, Daniel Stone wrote:
>
> > If we can settle on a status quo which is one sources.list line per
> > user, get all the Debian KDE maintainers (myself, David, Ben,
> > other-Daniel, Chris, Ralf) to work on that, that would be pretty ace.
>
> - From a user's perspective I'd prefer experimental to ftp.kde.org.
> experimental is much more clearly part of debian so it is clear that the
> packages will be the official packages once the bugs are ironed out, as
> opposed to someone being helpful and puting up an apt repository. Thanks to
> gnome2, experimental is already in my sources.list with low priority so it
> isn't yet another Packages.gz to download each day (since it is accessed via
> FTP, kde's repository is quite slow to check). From a developer's
> perspective, experimental makes it easier to package programs that depend on
> KDE3.

Only problem is that experimental, as Ben said, contains a whole bunch
of other stuff. A lot of users want to use KDE3, and it's not that
experimental. They don't want to drag other stuff in. You can, BTW,
access KDE's repository via HTTP. I agree with you that it makes life
easier, but we could just give all packagers of KDE apps access to the
repository, whether it be on gluck or ktown(.k.o). Currently, myself,
Chris, Ben, David, and others have access to the ktown account.

:) d

(Ugh. Hangover).

--
Daniel Stone                                     <dstone@trinity.unimelb.edu.au>
Developer, Trinity College, University of Melbourne