Re: Not able to connect to my system at home from work

On Tue, Oct 15, 2002 at 01:56:31PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> I know about PuTTy, I was asking about telnet-ssl. I was mainly curious,
> and hoping to get help from the person who said that telnet-ssl is a good
> solution. I think that it might be, but I was wondering how to access this
> when on the road. Does PuTTy do telnet-ssl, too? Thanks.

I'd say there are two ways:
1.) Carry a KNOPPIX CD with you - it's a Debian system with all the
essentials and then some (KDE, OpenOffice, etc.). All you would need
then is a machine with a bootable CD-ROM. If the machine is of recent
vintage - 400 MHz, 192 Mb RAM, 32x CD-ROM, you will have easy access to
the most portable form of Debian :-}. Or, you could just carry a
business card linux CD, which would give you basic commandline
facilities.

2.) The above solution sounds cumbersome? Well, if ssh clients are
widely available wherever you go, then use ssh. Kermit is a Windows
client that offers SSL capabilities, but it's not free. You can get it
from http://www.kermit-project.org/k95.html

Personally, I feel if you can access a DHCP network which allows
outgoing telnet connections and the machines are decent in their specs,
then Linux on a CD is the way to go. It's non-disruptive, as there's no
installation to be done. Also, your privacy is assured, since no
keyboard snopping can be done. After all, you are on a trusted OS :-}.

-Andy