Re: KDE3 - Debian/experimental distribution proposal (was: yes i am alive ;)

On Sun, Oct 13, 2002 at 01:25:28PM +0200, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> My idea would be better to create a debian.kde.org website to collect all this
> information and to host a permanent official build on ftp.kde.org. That can
> be the releases as they are plus additional applications that are provided
> for those builds. We can sort those in into ftp if we like to, and that is
> the easiest way to provide people a one-liner for their sources.list to
> update regularly.

This would be good for Beta/CVS/testing KDE debs. Aimed at geeks who
want to test the very latest KDE. I find it quite strange that people
want to test KDE 3.1 beta on woody. Unstable is *the* "testing"
platform!  ;)

Otherwise stable KDE releases should be handled by debian as per usual,
eh?

Experimental repositry idea is about damn time. Gnome2 have had it for a
while now. We need a concerted "professional" effort to get KDE3 into
the debian distribution. All these different temp. places for the sacred
binary debs have been extremely frustrating in the past few weeks.

I am just worried though that many of the eager people who want to work
on this, are not debian developers. And the ones that are, are they
working together with the non-debian developers? It is all very unclear.
The irc channel is one thing, however what about a forum or a bugzilla
for mere communication purposes?

Might I add that Karolina's unofficial 3.1 beta 2 debs are mirrored
here:
http://segfault.info/software_unofficialdebs.php

Regards,
-Kai Hendry