Re: Packaging a KDevelop project for debian

On Tuesday 01 October 2002 2:09 pm, Dan Boresjo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently developing a project using KDevelop (v2.1, as distributed
> with debian/stable) and would like to produce a well-behaved .deb (ie that
> can be installed on stable systems without having to fetch anything else
> exotic, and work 'out of the box'). All my dependencies are in stable so
> this should be possible...

Firstly, you will need to read the Debian New Maintainers guide in the
documentation section of www.debian.org or you can apt-get install
maint-guide. This explains how to use the tools available to help you create
a Debian package.

> Am I right in guessing that the files KDevelop generates under 'admin' are
> debian-specific? Is there any documentation on what they do and how to use
> them?

They come from the KDE project, and you won't need to touch them in order to
create a .deb (IIRC)

> Currenly running 'make install' puts all the files in the wrong place
> (presumably the KDE standard locations). Is it correct for the debian
> version of KDevelop to set-up the make this way?

Yes and no. Doing this means that source distributions from KDevelop are
compatible with the KDE source distributions (i.e. behave in a predictable
way to other KDE developers). You can get a source KDE app to work quite well
in debian by using the --prefix=/usr argument to configure, with the notable
exception of the help system not working as far as I can tell. I think it
works better in KDE3 though.

To get your debian package to install neatly in Woody:

Download one of the KDE source files from your Debian archive (e.g.
ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/k/kdeadmin/kdeadmin_2.2.2.orig.tar.gz) which,
when you unpack it, should hopefully contain a "debian" directory (which, as
the guide explains, contains all the files used for creating a debian
package) which contains a file called "debianrules". This file is debian-kde
specific, and is used to get everything to install in the standard debian
directories for KDE. Have a look at the "rules" file in the same directory
(you will understand what this is once you've read the guide) to work out how
the official KDE packages use debianrules to install themselves in the right
directories.

The guide should explain everything else you need.

> I notice there is a 'make
> RPM' menu item but no 'make DEB'. Hint: It would be really nice to have
> such a menu item!
>
> - Dan

It would, I think the problem maybe that the KDevelop developers are not using
debian themselves (or have bigger problems than this), so can't really do
this for you. I'm sure they would welcome such a contribution though ;) Bear
in mind also KDevelop is going through a bit of a major rewrite (see
www.kdevelop.org for more details) so there may be plans to add this feature.
There's a forum on their website where this issue may have been discussed, do
a search there or on the KDevelop mailing list.

Regards, James