Re: 178 days and counting

> Also it should be noted that Debian/unstable is actually remarkably stable for
> the working tree of a large software development project.  In terms of the

True. I do consider this a good thing. Most people will probably be OK if
they don't wear seatbelts, but that doesn't make driving w/o one any
safer.

> size and complexity of the project, the number of developers, the lack of
> direct communication between developers (IE we're never in the same office),
> and the number of inter-dependencies it's a truely amazing effort that our
> development code is of such a high quality.

Here, here. Debian rules!

> When was the last time that a new version of fsck ate your file-system?

I don't run unstable anymore on my servers. I ran testing when woody was
stabilizing.

I ran unstable at work until one day I turned it on it and it wouldn't
boot. I didn't know what to do so I reinstalled. I knew almost nothing
about linux at the time. I lost everything. I spent lots of time setting
things up again (I didn't know much).

I think that this was a lib problem that smart people fixed by downgrading
in a rescue environment.

I wasn't angry as it was labled UNSTABLE. Go figure. If testing gave me
troubles, I also am not any more upset than I would if I lay my hand on a
stove labeled HOT STOVE.

> When was the last time that glibc crashed and stuffed everything up totally?

I think that this was the problem. This was a few years ago.

> I recall it being moderately broken on one occasion and that was fixed pretty
> quickly.

Again, great debian. I use unstable in part so I can help w/ bug testing.
That's what unstable is for. Bug testing of the new distro.

> Actually I'd prefer to see all of this done in the unstable tree without any
> extra apt lines.  I think that the only reason for needing new apt lines is

I agree. This would probably be best.

> if you have a development fork (for example the repositories of SE Linux
> packages that Brian and I run) or if you have legal issues (EG MP3 encoding).
>
> I think that unstable should have more unstable code!!!

Oh, so after that we agree. Well, you can't find a flame war everywhere
now can we? :)

Good day,

Fred Ollinger