RE: 178 days and counting

 Well that was shortlived...this is the result of apt-get update:

maxus:/home/maxus# apt-get update
Hit http://people.debian.org ./ Packages

Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Packages

Hit http://people.debian.org ./ Release

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Packages

Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Release

Hit http://security.debian.org stable/updates/main Release

Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Sources

Hit http://non-us.debian.org stable/non-US/main Release
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org stable/main Packages
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org stable/main Release
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org stable/main Sources
Hit http://ftp.au.debian.org stable/main Release
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
maxus:/home/maxus# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  ark karm kate kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcron kdebase kdepasswd
  kdf kdict kdm kedit kfind kformula kfract kghostview khexedit kiconedit
kit
  kivio kjots kmail knewsticker knode knotes koffice koffice-libs konqueror
  konsole kontour korganizer korn koshell kpackage kpaint kpresenter kruler
  kscreensaver ksirc ksnapshot kspread ksysv ktimer kugar kuser kview kword
  secpolicy
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 50  not upgraded.

So........I ran apt-get upgrade with the following messages:

maxus:/home/maxus# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  ark karm kate kcalc kcharselect kchart kcoloredit kcron kdebase kdepasswd
  kdf kdict kdm kedit kfind kformula kfract kghostview khexedit kiconedit
kit
  kivio kjots kmail knewsticker knode knotes koffice koffice-libs konqueror
  konsole kontour korganizer korn koshell kpackage kpaint kpresenter kruler
  kscreensaver ksirc ksnapshot kspread ksysv ktimer kugar kuser kview kword
  secpolicy
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 50  not upgraded.

So I then tried apt-get dist-upgrade, which reading the man page for apt-get
states:

 dist-upgrade
              dist-upgrade, in addition to performing  the  func�
              tion  of upgrade, also intelligently handles chang�
              ing dependencies with  new  versions  of  packages;
              apt-get  has  a "smart" conflict resolution system,
              and it will attempt to upgrade the  most  important
              packages  at  the expense of less important ones if
              necessary.  The /etc/apt/sources.list file contains
              a  list of locations from which to retrieve desired
              package files.

Now this is what is said by my Debian system when I run the apt-get
dist-upgrade command:

maxus:/home/maxus# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Calculating Upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kab kde kdebase kdebase-audiolibs kdebase-doc kdebase-libs kdelibs3
  kdelibs3-bin kdepim-libs kpm libarts libkdenetwork1 libkmid libkonq3
  kaddressbook kalarmd kappfinder karbon kcontrol kdcop kdebase-bin
  kdebugdialog kdelibs-bin kdelibs-data kdelibs4 kdeprint kdesktop
khelpcenter
  khotkeys kicker kioslave klipper kmenuedit konqueror-nsplugins kpager
  kpersonalizer ksmserver ksplash ksysguard ktip kwin kxkb libart-2.0-2
  libarts1 libarts1-qt libasound2 libcupsys2 libkcal2 libkdenetwork2
  libkgantt0 libkonq4 libqt3 libqt3-mt libsensors1 python2.2
49 packages upgraded, 41 newly installed, 14 to remove and 0  not upgraded.
Need to get 45.6MB/51.5MB of archives. After unpacking 40.6MB will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

I answered yes to this, and it asked me to provide cdrom disk 1, and at this
point I got nervous.  Why?  Note that where it says the following packages
will be REMOVED it says kdelibs3.  Is that not for kde 3?  Or is that also
present for kde 2.2.  Looking at the package lists on the Debian site, it
does have a kdelibs3 for stable, so i'm wondering if all is ok, and I can
provide the said cdrom and let it read it and do its work.  After my
previous troubles i'm just very nervous and hesitant and untrusting of it
all.

Dave