Re: Anti-aliased fonts just broke - how do I fix?

This one time, at band camp, Derek Broughton said:
(Monday 23 September 2002 04:23 am)
> That seems unnecessarily complicated.  Why not just symlink
> /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType and /usr/share/fonts/truetype to the location
> of the actual fonts?  I jstill ust use my windows (vfat) \windows\fonts
> directory - that's not at all the best way to do it, since it would be
> better to have the fonts on an ext2 partition, but every time somebody sets
> up a particular path you _know_ some other software is going to rely on it
> eventually - better to keep the symlinks there to prevent breaking anything
> else.
> --
> derek

Well, apparently that's what defoma is all about. Using the dfontmgr that
Achim pointed out, you can drag-n-drop the TT fonts from your Windows
partition and register them with defoma. This will configure the fonts for
all packages registered with defoma. I'm not sure if XFree86 is automatically
configured or not -- I'm manually configuring it -- but if you include
/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcid-conf.d/dirs/TrueType in the X config files, you'll be
covered. The reason I mentioned to remove the other two TT dirs:
/usr/share/fonts/truetype and /usr/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType from the X config
files is the package msttcorefonts leaves an extra set of font info files
(encodings.dir, fonts.dir, fonts.scale) in one of the dirs with no
corresponding fonts and that breaks a lot of programs.

Like many tools, there's a learning curve that may seem excessive at first,
but it pays off in the end by making many operations simpler and handling
complexity for you.

Warren