Re: KDE2.2.2: Ctrl-S kills konsole input

On Monday 23 September 2002 11:27, David Pashley wrote:

> On Monday 23 September 2002 3:49 am, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > >
> > > Try hitting Ctrl-Q and see what happens....
> > >
> > > This used to be an old key sequence to stop / start screen scrolling.
> >
> > Thanks, that really did it. Is there a way to disable this behaviour? I use

In kde 3.1.  Configure konsole ... -> General

> > my own keytab file with .kde/share/apps/konsole/default.keytab, so there is
> > no problem adding additional entries. I don't need Ctrl-S/Ctrl-Q but would
> > rather use the "Rollen" button (german, between Print and Pause buttons)
> > for this (this is what the button is for and it would make much more sense
> > to use that one). Is there any known solution? (Does KDE 3.0.x have this?)

crtl-s/q is 'hardcoded' in konsole code.  Check defaults.Keytab. at the end is

key ScrollLock     : scrollLock

xev can tell you what keysym 'Rollen' has.  Here key 'scroll lock' has Scroll_Lock
keysym. AFAIR qt remove '_' from X11 keysym.  If in doubt check
qt*/kernel/qapplication_x11.cpp for the translation.

> > HS
> >
> This is dealt with by the same thing that deals with ctrl-C and ctrl-\. AIUI
> that is the kernel. They are signals SIGSTOP and SIGCONT iirc. So basically
> you don't have much chance of stopping it.

No, sigstop/cont stops/resumes the process.  ctrl-s/q just blocks the output to the
tty or pty.  If there no pty IO the process continues to run after a ctrl-s

ds02[2] ~ # stty  --all | egrep '(stop|start) ='
eol2 = <undef>; start = ^Q; stop = ^S; susp = ^Z; rprnt = ^R; werase = ^W;

To switch ^S off use:  stty stop ""

Achim