kdm trouble

Yo,

as most people here (no? :) ) I'm running kde 3.0.2, and I try to use kdm
*hrm*. The problem is, as soon as it starts up, a file /etc/nologin is made
which seems to prohibit normal mortal users to log in. Moreover, it kills all
the console login screens. So I can only log in via kdm and as root. And then
delete that file, logout again, login as normal user. I can only get my
consoles back by doing an "init 3" as root.

The most rational solution would be to just dump kdm and start x with startx
-- :pickyournumber . But I need kdm, since I also use a small p133 to remote
boot to this box - so it needs a display manager, so I need kdm, period :-)

If anyone knows a solution or a workaround, reply. thx.

--
Frank Van Damme
homepage:       www.student.kuleuven.ac.be/~m9917684