Re: Sound/aRTS/OSS

>> If you don't want to have to kickstart artsd like this, have it startup
>> when you log in, and set the "timeout" value in kcontrol->Sound->Sound
>> Server to  something very low (mine is 3 seconds).  Wine et. al. should
>> still work and your system sounds will work from the get-go.

Thanks for the reply, David!  I think you're right on there.  In
experimenting a bit, here's what I discovered.  In sound preferences, I have
'start arts server at startup' unchecked.  As such, there is no system
sounds, but I can use Windows media player under Wine and video/audio
works great in it.  If I go ahead and play a wav with noatun, xmms... any
program, at that point artsd is off and running, and stays running.  If I
then try using Wine/Mplayer, it errors out as the driver Wine is using is for
OSS.  If I kill artsd, I'm back to the beginning, no system sounds, but Wine
is fat, dumb and happy again.  There is an arts driver for Wine that I've
tried, but the version I had was a bit buggy and caused more problems than it
solved.  So, unless there's an option to use artsd only when needed, and have
it unload when not, it a matter of utilizing whichever sound setup is needed
for the program wanting to be used, ie: killing artsd manually if it's
running and I'm going to use a Windows app.   Definitly not the end of the
world... at least it's making a bit of sense to me now.  Thanks again!