Re: KDE 3.0.3 packages uploaded

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:44:55 +0200, Dirk Schmidt wrote:

>Am Montag, 19. August 2002 15:14 schrieb Daniel Stone:
>> > Will be these packages installable on Woody/stable or there are
>> > dependencies from the testing/unstable repository as with 3.0.2 kde debs
>> > from http://kde3.geniussystems.net/debian ./ ?
>>
>> It's compiled against unstable (sid), however you can use it on testing
>> by pulling a couple of packages back from unstable (apt-get -f install).
>>
>> Sadly, however, one of those packages is the new libc6, and you'll need
>> to pull a new apache, etc, for that.
>
>What do you think about compiling 3.0.3 on woody against the woody's libraries
>and sid's qt3.0.5? I do not want to mix up woody and sid too much -especially
>libc.

<AOL>me too</AOL>

Ah .. it seems cheeky to ask, but I'd really like to see packages
compiled against vanilla Woody too.
(new libc ... scary stuff .. mumble ..)

Is it possible ?

Is the new libc required because of the switch to gcc 3.2 ?
If so, can we use gcc 2.95 instead (as well) ?

With the reported speedups and all in KDE3, surely the credibility of
Debian's premier just-released stable version would benefit from KDE
3.0.3 being in the optional feature set.

Quite apart from the speedups and doodads, there's that
oh-so-important Konqui-SSL fix.  If a Woody KDE 3.0.3 isn't possible,
would it be possible for someone to produce a binary deb of the
patched 2.2.2 version of kdelibs-kssl ?

(Actually, shouldn't a 2.2.2 fixed kdelibs-kssl appear as a Debian
security fix ?)

Okay okay - Chris & Daniel gotta have a life - I'll shut up :)

[ Hey if I can provide manual labour I'm happy to help, but I'm only a
novice C++ programmer so I'd have to be led most steps of the way :( ]

Cheers,
Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Baruch's Observation:
If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.