"Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your installation" error w. 3.02 debs

I am running Debian unstable updated to 15 Augus 2002, and cannot seem to get
KDE3 to work.

I have installed the KDE 3.02 debs from kde3.geniussystems.net/debian.

I have wmaker working, and can start wdm without any trouble. Running kdm,
however, the screen will just flicker a couple of times, then return to the
command prompt.

Trying to start a kde3 session from wdm, I get the following error message in
a dialogue box:

  Couldn't start kdeinit. Check your installation.
  okay

Clicking on "okay", I get another message:

  Couldn't start ksmserver. Check your installation.
  okay

Same error messages if I run "startx".

I read from some similar error messages with the 3.01 debs to install
kdelibs4-bin. This appears to have been superceded by kdelibs-bin in the 3.02
debs, which is installed on my system.

Is this a problem with something else in my installation, or is there a
current problem with unstable and the 3.02 debs??

Thanks,

Bruce