kcontrol shows nothing on KDE3

Hello all I just tried to install KDE3 and everything seems to be fine
but when I launch kcontrol I have nothing in the tree just white space.
I then tried to start it from the command line and got this error
WARNING: No K menu group with X-KDE-BaseGroup=settings found !
Defaulting to Settings/

So I removed my .kde dir thinking some old stuff from kde2 was still
lying around and that didn't fix it, so I made a new user and the same
results Then I ran update-menus and get this error

cp: cannot stat '/etc/kde3/debian/d-debian.desktop': No such file or
directory

And its right that sure doesn't exist but
/etc/kde3/debian/debian.desktop does.  Not sure what is going on here.
Does anyone have any idea?  Or does anyone have the link to the web page
that has written up instructions on how to install kde3?