Re: OpenSSL license incompatibility

Maximilian Reiss <max.reiss@gmx.de> writes:

> Am Dienstag, 30. Juli 2002 02:24 schrieb Daniel Schepler:
> > Something has been bothering me about the KDE packages...  The OpenSSL
> > license is incompatible with the GPL, but Konqueror et al use the
> > library.  I just checked and, indeed, I found that libssl.so.0.9.6 and
> > libqt-mt.so.3.0.4 are linked into the same address space (in the
> > kio_http process forked off by kdeinit).  I was wondering whether,
> > because of this, the kdelibs packages should have SSL support
> > disabled.
>
> No gpl violation. KDE does _not_ link against libssl.
>
> 	Max

It doesn't matter exactly how the linking is done; even if kio_http
loads libssl dynamically at run time, that counts the same as linking
in the library.  See
<URL:http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#MereAggregation> (and
#GPLAndPlugins).

Also, as somebody else pointed out, kcm_crypto _is_ linked against
-lssl.
--
Daniel Schepler              "Please don't disillusion me.  I
schepler@math.berkeley.edu    haven't had breakfast yet."