Re: kmail is slow...

Alain,

A few things come to mind:

1. Running kmail (a KDE app) under ICE on a disk limited system might
cause slowness.  How big is your swap defined?  Have you looked
at top when the system is slow to see what tasks are running?
If you do a ps aux | more you will see the KDE tasks running.
There is a lot of "baggage" running KDE apps under ICE, I would
probably recommend running Pine if you can as that is quite
functional and very effecient.   I run Kmail on a 233 Pentium with
384Mb under KDE (2.0, 2,1, 3.1) and it is always "snappy".

2. Most important with mail systems in general and Kmail in particular
is that you should keep your inbox small.  I have maintained
a few hundred users and invariably the user's with problems
(whether they used Outlook Express or Pine or Kmail) was
they had humongous inboxs.  25Mb and larger is a humongous
inbox and guaranteed to make your mail program slow and
sluggish.  My inbox (Kmail  is currently 5 messages and is
100Kb) is usually  kept below 10-12 messages ... when mail comes
in I move it to related folders.  Shrink your inbox and
Kmail should become more responsive.

Michael