Re: Starting a cvs-compiled KDE from KDM

On Tuesday 04 June 2002 12:57 pm, Reinhold Kainhofer wrote:
> Hi!
> How can I start a kde version that I compiled myself
> (--prefix=/opt/kde3cvs, QTDIR=/opt/qt-copy) from kdm as shipped with the
> unofficial kde 3.0.1 debs? Just setting KDEDIR, KDEHOME, QTDIR, PATH and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH in ~/.profile, ~/.bash_profile or ~/.bashrc doesn't help,
> kde always starts with the 3.0.1 binaries. Of course, every programm
> started later (either from a bash or from kicker or the start menu) uses
> the self-compiled binaries from /opt...
> Thanks a lot
> Reinhold

This is c&p from a previous response to the same question.  Workingness is not
assured :-)
- ------

What I did was just add the following lines to the beginning of

export KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde3
export PATH=/usr/local/kde3/bin:$PATH:.
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/kde3/lib

Then on the command line:

# ln -s /usr/local/kde3/bin/startkde /usr/bin/kde3

Then in /etc/kde2/kdm/kdmrc, add kde3 in SessionTypes. My SessionTypes
line looks like this now:

It works fine. The change in kdmrc will likely get lost in a system
update of the kdm package but it's easy to change again and the next
kdm package will most probably be KDE3 anyway.

- --
A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in.
  --Kim Alm, a.s.r
Version: GnuPG v1.0.7 (GNU/Linux)