compiling KDE3 - missing dcopidl

Hi,
I am trying to compile KDE3 from source.  I have compiled and installed
arts and kdelibs and am running into the following snap during configure for
kdebase:

"checking for dcopidl... not found
configure: error: The important program dcopidl was not found!
Please check whether you installed KDE correctly."

Chacking on the Debian packages search page I see this is in kdelibs-dev.
I can see no kdelibs-dev amoung the KDE3 sources on ftp.kde.org.
kdelibs from KDE2 wants to remove:
libpng-dev libqt3-dev libqt3-mt-dev qt3-tools
so I assume this would be the wrong route as well.

I compiled and installed KDE3 on Slackware from CVS sucesssfully a few months
back and did not run into this (though there were other problems of course !)

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious- any suggestions ?

all the best,
Robert_L

ps.
Running "Testing" (Sid) on this machine