Re: confusing behavior from kwin on potato

On Thursday 21 March 2002 14:29, alice@cascoind.com wrote:
> Ok, I've got the 'rkrusty' line in my sources.list...
>
> earlier last week I do an 'update' in dselect 'cause I'm looking for something
> else and I suddenly get a bunch of packages selected.... looks like there was a
> change from KDE 1.1.1 to 2.1.1 sometime since the last time I updated (yeah,
> I don't do it _that_ often)
>
> when I first tried running startx after that I suddenly had no window
> manager... ick...

[ snip long desc]

> hmmm, ok, something's definitely.... missing... or still sprocked..... any
> suggestions on where to continue looking? Relevant FAQ's? Manuals? email
> addresses?
>
> or should I just comment out the rkrusty line, move the old kde .debs to a
> directory somewhere, put that in my sources.list and see if I can talk dselect
> into putting things back the way they were?
>
> anyways.... any suggestions or pointers to FM's to R would be appreciated

Try starting kde with startx or via kdm. Then

	o check ~/.xsession.  Any useful error msgs?
	o start a terminal emulator and from there start kwin.  Error msgs?
	  (Try Alt-F2 and start you favorite term emulator or on
	   console login as same user and use DISPLAY=0:0 konsole # or xterm)

Achim