Re: Fwd: middle mouse button = double click ?

On Wed, Feb 27, 2002 at 05:06:09PM +0100, Franz Keferboeck wrote:

> On Wednesday 27 February 2002 15:46, James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. wrote:
> > --------------- Forwarded message (begin)
> >
> >  Subject: middle mouse button = double click ?
> >  From: James D. Freels, P.E._i, Ph.D. <freelsjd@ornl.gov>
> >  Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:31:27 -0500
> >
> >  Is it possible to do this in KDE ?
>
> Why should that be neccessary? There's no need for double-clicks in KDE at
> all, and the function of the middle-mouse-button is _really_ nice and useable!

Last I knew, there are still some odd situations in KDE that use double
clicks, such as in some file dialogs, and also to expand some lists (of
course you could also click the + next to them). Every since KDE 1.0 I've
loved how you can do so much with a single click that I've come to
absolutely hate double clicking, but there are still some areas such as
those I mentioned where double clicking is still the apparently preferred
method, and I think those should be cleaned up and made more consistent with
the single-click idea (or of course if the user chooses to make icons
double-clickable, make these items so too :) )

Also, I'd like to see better handling of the functionality that autoselects
items when you rest the mouse on them for a set time. It works nicely with
file manager icons, but I find it really annoying and suboptimal that e.g.
in the Control Center whenever I inadvertently rest the mouse on Window
Behavior or whatever, that gets highlighted (but yet it doesn't actually get
*activated*).

Third, I'd like to see a distinction made between clicking on icons and
clicking on file names. On most GUI platforms I know of (Windows, Mac,
GNOME at least), when you just click on the filename and not its icon, it
allows you to rename the file. It's much more awkward in Konqueror if you
have single-click on, because you have to right-click on it, pick rename,
and then type the name, or alternately you can select it and hit F2 (but of
course it's hard to select in that mode).

Sorry about the rambling. Those are my 2c of wishlist items :)

whatever

--
Stay fuzzy... save the world... choices!

Eric Christopherson, a.k.a. Contrarian Conlanger Rakko ^_^