Re: Athlon optimized KDE build

On Thursday 28 February 2002 14:03, Eray Ozkural wrote:

> On Thursday 28 February 2002 18:16, Magnus von Koeller wrote:
> > On Thursday 28 February 2002 12:47, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > I have working qt3/kdelibs4/kdebase3 packages, as I stated, but I
> > > am not releasing them to the public until they're fully tested.
> >
> > Well, what is unstable for, then?
>
> The KDE3 packages replace KDE2, therefore they cannot be released in a
> buggy state without severely disappointing users.
>
> That is exactly why I wanted to prepare a set of binaries for people who
> are eager to try KDE3 on their AMD systems but  do not have the resources
> to compile them.
>
> Though, now I think that the 800MB might be way too big. Even when I
> compress them, it will probably take >400MB :/ I wanted to include the
> debugging info, but then again it may be too big for transfer...
>
> Maybe I should compile one with -march=i686 (so that it runs on all
> high-end x86 cpus) and with --disable-debug.
>
> Thanks,
>
> - --
Just a comment from one who is almost exclusively a KDE user and not a KDE
developer.  I do have one Athlon machine plus a couple K6 machines.  My gut
hunch is that those of us who do have such machines do have the physical
resources for our machines.  The willingness and/or technical deftness to do
it is quite a different question though.  (I'm definitely lacking the
willingness right now and it would be a large technical challenge for me to
do so.)

Bob