lost path in upgrade to deb 3

Hi,
I upgraded to deb 3 yesterday, Downloaded 200 meg files watched
them install with dselect and today dselect can't find the files it
needs to read what it has done ldconfig reboot cannot be found and
started from command line.  X won't work etcetra.  Brian Mays
recommended:
> Mike - The two usual places where the path is set and changed
are the
> following files:
>
>     /etc/login.defs
>     /etc/profile

So I checked and login.defs ok I altered profile, that made no
difference.  Dselect says new versions of files are available but old
ones are installed.  Actually the new are installed.  Pcmcia was
working a treat before the upgrade and the card is still installed but
doesn't connect any more so I can't go get anything while in
debian.  I could reinstall deb 2 but I don't want too.  I want to stay
in deb 3 (testing).  BTW kde was working well before the upgrade
as was sound, my logitech cordless trackball, it was just great.
This message written on the same computer but on w98.  I hope
you have some ideas on how to get this deb3 to work.

cheers,
Mike