Re: kdelibs compilation problems

On Tue, 19 Feb 2002, Alan Chandler wrote:

> All I do is
>
> cvs up
> make -f Makefile.cvs && ./configure && make

Did most of that - my version was:

./configure --prefix=/opt/kde3 --with-qt-dir=/opt/qt3.0.2 --with-alsa
--enable-mitshm

etc..etc..  I suppose it's possible that mitshm broke it..

> What I have noticed is that yesterday I had a complaint about xm/X ...
> (something can't remember) missing and had to install the lesstiff-dev
> package.  So double check that libpng and libjpeg etc and their -dev
> equivalents are installed.

Yup.. got the lot, double checked the configure output to make sure
it found it too..

> Are you building kde with the qt-copy thats in the package

Yup

> I'm using the qt-copy and have set QTDIR to point to it.

Me too (although I'm using --with-qt-dir= instead of QTDIR)

I suppose I could install it all over /usr/local (I put it in /opt/kde3 so
that if a deb package turns up I can just do an rm -rf and use the
proper version :-))

> I editied inittab to run /usr/local/kde/bin/kdm from there under run level 5
> and so changed the run level to that.

Haven't even bothered with kdm yet - been doing startx!

> I had to spend a bit of time mucking
> about with the /etc/ files (in the end I created /etc/kde3 as a copy from
> /etc/kde2, edit the files in /etc/kde3/kdm to ensure that had the right paths
> etc in and then created a symlink at /usr/local/kde/etc to point at the
> /etc/kde3 directory)

Did something similar - I copied my ~/.kde directory into a test account
and ran it.. the results were slightly better (background didn't flicker,
but it was still grey and configure-background still crashed).

All the other applications worked.. it's just the background/desktop :-(

--
Giles Constant, Systems Programmer
Hyperlink Interactive