Re: Postscript & PDF view & print with CUPS - howto?

On Thursday 24 January 2002 11:57 pm, tluxt wrote:
> --- Jens Benecke <jens@jensbenecke.de> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 23, 2002 at 11:46:17PM -0800, tluxt wrote:
> > > I apt-get -s install ghostscript  -  apt-get says it's mentioned, but
> > > not available.  OK.
> >
> > I would recommend gs-aladdin. It's more recent and contains more drivers,
> > but it's in non-free.
>
> How easy would it be for me to find out on my own specifically what its
> 'non-freenes" is?  How would I find that out, if it's fairly easy to find
> out?

If you just want to know if a specific package is free/non-free, apt-cache
(again!) is your friend: apt-cache show gs-aladdin prints out a bunch of
info, including (near the top):
Section: non-free/text
If you want the actual license, then yes, the /usr/share/doc/foo/ directory
will always hold the text of the license.

> Perhaps this answers that question:
> >  This version is Aladdin copyright, not GNU copyleft, see
> >  /usr/share/doc/gs-aladdin/copyright.
> >
> > > So, I install kghostview, run it, select "file - Open", select the file
> > > in the directory that has been created by Xpdf, and the page shows up
> > > perfectly in the "preview" window of the file selection window.  But
> > > when I click "OK" to open it a signal 11 occurs.  :(.
> >
> > This seems to be a bug. File one and include a backtrace. I haven't had
> > this happen to me yet.
> >
> > > Q5) Does the "Kghostview sig 11's when trying to open a .ps file
> > > created by the 'print' of Xpdf, although the file is displayed fine
> > > (text & images) in the open dialog preview window" sound like a bug
> > > that ought to be submitted on the kghostview package?
> >
> > Hm. Does it crash when you print it, or when you open it, or when gs
> > renders it, or when gs renders it to the printer, or ...?
>
> It happens instantly after I click the "ok" button that tells it
> to open the file.

<snip>
Back traces unfortunetly don't tell many tales, when they've been compiled
without debug information (as almost all binary distrobutions do).

> Does that suggest anything?  (or, perhaps I need to send the file
> I'm trying to open, along with that to the packager?)

I'm still suspecting that this is the same problem others on the list are
having.  Look at the archives if you've missed them, follow their
suggestions, and then, if that doesn't work, file a bug with the packager,
along with the offending .ps script.  And finally, try opening the original
.pdf with kghostview, to see if that works (it should).

HTH and HAND!

- --
D.A.Bishop