strange font problem in kde-2.2.2: can't change fixed-width fonts

I am using a current Debian/Sid.  With or without "anti-aliasing fonts
"enabled, I cannot change fixed-width fonts from the control center.  When I
click "choose" in that category of the control center->look and feel->fonts,
the screen garbles up, and will not allow me to do anything from the console
(no crtl-alt-backspace, no crtl-alt-f1, etc.).  I must ssh in from another
machine and reboot with the shutdown -r command; then I get the same
configuration back.

I can change the variable-width fonts just fine.  I can also change to
anti-aliasing fonts if I have an eligible font chosen beforehand.

How can I clear up my fixed-width option ?