kprinter, cups, and LaserJet_2200 -- success, almost

I don't want to file a bug report about this if someone can point out my
error here.  Sorry it's such a long message.

I have a networked (JetDirect) HP LaserJet_2200 on a local network. I have
installed all the cups packages.  Also, I copied the correct ppd file to
/usr/share/cups/model/HP/LaserJet_2200.ppd. Then I used Control Center ->
System -> Printing Manager, and chose the CUPS option.  I followed the
Setup Printer Wizard, chose IPP since this printer supports it.  The scan
found the printer, and everything seemed to go swimmingly.

EXCEPT:
When I print a test page, the dialog pops up saying, "Test page
successfully sent to printer LaserJet_2200".  So, OK.  The printer shows a
flashing green light indicating the arrival of a job.  OK.  Then, after
about 15 or 20 seconds, the flashing green stops and the orange warning
light starts flashing.  According to the HP manual, the pattern indicates,
"Attention -- Continuable Error".  If I press the Go button on the
printer, the orange light stops flashing, the printer begins to print and
prints the test page correctly.  In fact, I find that all the print jobs
I've tried, including one from gv using "kprinter %s" as the print
command, work correctly AFTER I press the Go button to clear the "error"
and start the printer printing.

Any ideas?  Thank you.

BTW, I have used this ppd file with gpr for about a year.  It works fine
there, so that may not be the problem.  BTW, the timeout on the printer is
set at 270 seconds, plenty high, I think, so that probably isn't it.  It
seems as if the whole job gets received, but something at the end of the
print process goes wrong.  Maybe the file that cups is sending has
something in it that the interpreter can't swallow without a hiccup.  BTW,
I also tried setting it up as a TCP printer using port 9100.  Got exactly
the same behaviour.  One further clue, the HP manual says that, "The
printer can be configured to automatically recover from an error using the
Input Auto Continue settings in the HP LaserJet Device Configuration."
There is no setting on the printer corresponding to that, so it may be a
setting in the HP windows driver.  Maybe cups needs that option also?

--
Oliver Johns <ojohns@metacosmos.org>
San Francisco, California USA