From: Ron Johnson [mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net]
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2002 4:07 PM
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: XFree86 is eating my CPU!

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 08:55:58 -0500 Robert Tilley <tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com>
wrote:
> My system has seemed a bit sluggish lately and gkrellm shows over 50%
CPU
> utilization.  When I do a "top", the XFree86 process is shown to
consume over
> 50% of available CPU cycles.
>
> This never happens in other window managers, so I believe it to be a
KDE
> problem.  With Blackbox I never go above 1-2%.
>
> This only began occuring recently (less than 1 month ago) and
persists,
> despite upgrading my machine nightly.  Can anyone offer some insight?

Anti-aliased fonts.  Had that same problem last year (when using
Mandrake).  Disabled AA fonts and response went back to normal.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org:81    |
! Great Inventors of our time:                               |
!    Al Gore -> Internet                                     |
!    Sun Microsystems -> Clusters                            |