Re: konqueror file manager & mount

On Sat, Jan 19, 2002 at 08:17:44AM +0100, Regnat Nikolaus wrote:

> >Create an icon for a device in ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/dirtree/ or
> >just drag it in the konqueror navigation bar (where the directory tree
> >is).  *bong*, you have a "mount" option via RMB and you can access it
> >from within Konqueror.
> This is nice, thanks for suggesting it. There are only two problems with
> this solution: 1. konqueror shows (at last on my system) always a
> "mounted" icon (one with a green triangle on it) - not a real *problem*
> but confusing

Yes. Report it as a bug. :)

> 2. doing this renders the real mount-point (e.g. /mnt/floppy) useless,
> because I do never need it in konqueror - everytime I mount a filesystem
> via the icon I'm immediately on the filesystem. If I try to access the
> real mount point without mounting it with the device icon before this
> solution doesn't work.

Yes, that's the idea actually. You want to mount a device in a directory,
but you also want to be able to access the directory itself. KDE shouldn't
restrict this kind of behaviour just because 90% of people don't need
/mnt/floppy. OK, maybe it should be configurable. Report a wishlist bug. :)

> I thought more of a *natural* solution - why does konqui not parse the
> fstab and *automatically* apply an icon and/or the option to mount it on
> the context-menu. I'm no programmer so please correct me if this solution
> is a bad idea...

I guess it's just because nobody has done it yet. There even was a patch to
automatically create removable device icons on the desktop (or a subdir of
the desktop) when you insert a media (just like on MacOS) but IIRC it never
got included.

--
mfg, Jens Benecke
http://www.jensbenecke.de/ - Persönliches

Politics is like a septic tank - all the big shits float to the top.