Re: Interpreting FHS

Am Donnerstag, 17. Januar 2002 01:48 schrieb Jarno Elonen:
> > In my understanding: /opt is for packages that do not fit into the unix
> > file system structure with the defined dirs like bin, lib, etc.
> > What you now want to do with /opt is to make it to something like
> > C:\programs on Windows systems.
>
> Just as a side note (NOT as a proposition by any means!):
> what's really so wrong in C:\program files style? Of course, on
> open systems, instead of vendor specific directories, there should be some
> other subdirectory policy (lsm for example?).

The problem: where to install libs that come with the package and other might
refer to? How to search for installed programs by looking at one direcory
(without masses of symlinks)? How to have one nice dir for configuration
files instead of searching, where there might be any?

But dependent links would really be nice (ones that even follow when the file
is copied) although practically hardly possible.

HS