Re: KDE dependency problem on a Debian Sid 3.0

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 11:17:16AM +0100, Tomas Pospisek's Mailing Lists wrote:
> > On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 crochat@younics.org wrote:
>
> > > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
> > > deb ftp://sunsite.cnlab-switch.ch/mirror/debian unstable main contrib non-free
>
> > 1) and 2) are the same but you are mixing two mirrors. What for? Use only
> > one and then you should be offered a more consistent package choice. If
> > you are using 1) and 2) simultaneously than you can end up in strange
> > situations where you install stuff from 2) that depends on stuff that is
> > overwritten by 1) etc.
>
> How exactly do you expect that to happen?  apt supports multiple sources
> for the same package perfectly well - by default it will simply go with
> the highest version avaliable.  If you point at two repositories one of
> which is not a Debian mirror you might get into trouble but otherwise
> nothing bad will happen (except for a bit of wasted bandwidth
> downloading two copies of the Packages files).

Lets suppose the following (a situation that happens frequently here, I'm
sitting in Switzerland btw. just like the original poster).

Installed:
----------
Package: A
Version: 0.1
Package: B
Version: 0.1
Package: C
Version: 0.1

mirror: A_out_of_sync
---------------------
Package: A
Version: 0.1
Depends: B ( = 0.1)
Package: B
Version: 0.1
Package: C
Version: 0.1
Depends: B ( = 0.1)

mirror: B_more_in_sync
----------------------
Package: A
(has been replaced by Aplus or is not available any more)
Depends: B ( = 0.2)
Package: B
Version: 0.2
Package: C
Version: 0.2
Depends: B ( = 0.2)

If you list available packages you'll see all the new versions. And if
you update C you'll get a problem, since A is hanging in the air.
Situations like this do occur.
*t

             Tomas Pospisek
	     http://sourcepole.ch