Minimum-impact disabling of libpng2

On Thursday 03 January 2002 06:40 am, Bjoern Krombholz wrote:
>On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 01:50:03AM +0100, Laurent Rathle wrote:
> > So I didn't remove libpng2 but I simply renamed
> > the symlink libpng.so.2 in libpng.so.2.old and I made the
> > symlink you mentionned (ln -s /usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.1
> > /usr/lib/libpng.so.2). It works.
>
> Really? Run ldconfig, this should change the so.2 symlink back
> to the real 2.1.0.12 library when libpng.so.2.x.x.x is found.
>

> Bjoern

But, if you do remove the package libpng2, then apt-get won't do
any further upgrades, due to the many packages depending on
libpng2.

So, maybe a minimum-impact, short-term solution is to INSTALL
libpng2, and then rm or mv the file /usr/lib/libpng.so.2.1.0.12
Then make the symlink as above
ln -sf /usr/lib/libpng.so.3.1.2.1 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
Now, I believe since it worked that way here, running ldconfig
(as is done by many upgrade setups) will not mess things up.
The downside, of course, is that anything linked against the
removed library won't work, including quite a bit of gnome
stuff.  But that downside was already there with the changed
symlink.

This may work for those, like me, who use kde almost entirely.
Maybe this mess will be cleaned up soon, but maybe not.  It has
seemingly provoked flames and the resignation of Ivan, our
stellar maintainer.

--
Oliver Johns <ojohns@metacosmos.org>
San Francisco, California USA