stuck at "initializing system services"

Greetings --

I'm having a little problem with a fresh install of Debian with KDE
2.2.2 on a new computer. Whenever I try to start KDE, it hangs for a
_long_ time at the "Initializing system services..." stage of ksplash
(the second icon). Eventually, ksplash goes away, and I'm left staring
at a grey screen. Eventually, I do get logged in, and I get the normal
desktop, and everything works, but it takes around 5 minutes or so for
that to happen.

I'm pretty sure this isn't a KDE problem per se, as it also happens
with a copy of KDE that I built from source. Clearly, something that
should be installed or configured isn't -- I just need a pointer as to
what.

As an aside, the machine that I'm replacing has also been running
Debian with KDE, and it doesn't display these symptoms. With the
exception of some hardware-specific packages that I don't need
anymore, these two machines have identical packages installed -- which
is what makes me think "configuration issue".

Any and all pointers welcome.

Oh, in case it matters:

1.4 GHz Athlon, 512 MB RAM
Debian 'sid', up to date as of this evening, running kernel 2.4.17
(mainline)

TIA,
john.
--
Well, it just seemed wrong to cheat on an ethics test.  -- Calvin