Re: KDE & euro

Hi,

I'm happy that the subject of the Euro under KDE with potato came up
again.

I'm in one boat with Pierre:

Euro under console works fine. (Although, I had to return to kbd from
fonty to get it working alright.)

Under X and KDE I can input a � in emacs and than even cut and paste
it to some KDE applications which than display it correctly. (Kwrite
and kmail for instance, but not in konsole where the generic currency
symbol is displayed.)

If I try to type the Euro symbol in kwrite, kmail or konsole I get a
question mark. And if I try to send a message encoded iso-8859-15 with
such a question mark I get the warning "Not all characters fit into
the chosen encoding."

And, yes: I have chosen in the control center iso-8859-15 fonts for
everything, and under Country & Charset the Charset iso8859-15. My
locales (LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE) are all set to de_DE@euro. (I have
tried other combinations too.) There are no complains in
.xsession-errors about locales not supported

locale gives:

LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_CTYPE="de_DE@euro"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE@euro"
LC_TIME="de_DE@euro"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE@euro"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE@euro"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE@euro"
LC_ALL=de_DE@euro

and locale charmap:

ISO-8859-1

(This, of course, doesn't look correct to me.)

Any suggestion, how get finally to the Euro sign under KDE?

Andreas Goesele