Re: Need help fixing KDE

>What happens with:
>apt-get -t unstable install kdelib3 (and so on)
>
>John Batistic

Even that fails with similar messages. Basically, the problem was that
kdelibs3_4%2.2.1 managed to install itself but kde will not install because
it's looking for packages that are not even in unstable yet.

After much fighting and swearing, I eventually partially fixed the problem
using dpkg --force-downgrade --force-overwrite -i kdelibs3_4%2.1.1* and
several other packages that had been upgrade to 2.2.1 I had to list several
packages on the one command due to the same packages provided by different
packages in the different versions. I can finally log into KDE again, but
kmail and konqueror both fail to start due to something about not finding
Polish_7KDialog even though I only use English? I tried to re-install and
reconfigure these packages, but I still have this problem, so I'm still
stuck with Mozilla for mail at the moment.

Of course these are the types of problem to be expecting from unstable. I
probably just picked a bad time to try upgrading jsut when Ivan had updated
several things but the all haven't reached the mirrors yet. I think for the
moment, I'll stay with testing, once I can get this polish problem worked
out.

Thanks for all the ideas and help! I can't imaging getting this type of
assistance from Redmond!

Cheers,

     John Gay