Setting environment

This may well be a FA dumb Q but I can't work out how to set up a users' path
or other local environmentals (such as HTTP_PROXY).  Editing .bash_profile
does nothing.

Is there a file under ~/.kde I need to edit?

What part of TFM haven't I Rd?

--
David

"Some weeks it looks like Redmond feels entitled to capture not just part of
what we save, but all of it.  That just isn't going to fly with corporate
America forever.  When your margins are more sensitive to Bill Gates' pricing
whims than they are [to] the price of oil, that's an untenable position for a
large company to be in."      - John Chapman, Sr. Technology Executive, Amoco