Re: Shared libs, moduledir

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 11:05:35PM +0200, Michael Schuerig wrote:
> On Friday 03 August 2001 20:46, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
>
> [shared lib locations, ld.so, ldconfig, KDE modules]
> > I can easily sum most if not all of this up.
>
> Ivan, thanks for replying.
>
> > According to FHS and all a distribution is not supposed to touch
> > anything in /usr/local.  /usr/local is meant for use by enduser's.
> > The reason why the KDE tarballs and projects created by KDevelop put
> > things in /usr/local/xxx is because these are things the enduser
> > create.
>
> Okay. But what is an end user to do who wants to install a KDE tarball
> locally? Because...
>
> > On a normal distribution that follows FHS you will find that the
> > moduledir will be /usr/lib/kde2.  This path does not need to go into
> > ld.so.conf because they are modules and KDE apps are the only apps
> > that need them.  Since they are the only apps that need them and they
> > already know where to find them there is no need to tell anyone else
> > where they live.
>
> ...while KDE does indeed find modules installed in /usr/lib/kde2, it
> apparently doesn't find modules in /usr/local/lib/kde2, even though my
> KDEDIRS is set to /usr/local:/usr/.
>
> Thanks also to Andy Saxena who pointed me to man ldconfig. On
> re-reading I found, that ldconfig always processes /lib and /usr/lib,
> no matter if they're in /etc/ld.so.conf.

The end user would have to deal with it.  KDE it not designed to live in
a mixed environment by default...and if your going to get in the habit of
building apps on a KDE system that derives from packages then you probably
should learn to make your own packages and conform to the same format as
the packages do.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II