Re: kmix

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 04:47:09PM +0100, John Gay wrote:

> This seems to come up again and again. Users not in audio group or other
> access groups. Is there some reason that Debian does not include users
> into these groups by default?

Don't let yourself be fooled by the "one-computer one-person" Windows mode
of thought. One local user, twenty remote users. Or two thousand.

I don't want two thousand remote shell users to compete with me over one
audio device, the output of which only I can hear. Think "remote user
uploads and plays thrash metal MP3 files in the middle of the night".

> I can't see why you would want to not include a user into one of these
> groups.

I can.

> Could it not be part of the installation to ask if all users should be
> included in groups like audio and such?

THAT would be an option I would welcome. As long as it stays an option.

--
Jens Benecke
http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Die kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale für ganz Europa