Re: KDE and mp3 ripping support.

Thanks for all the replies and information. I agree that for Linux users
and Open Source supporters, Ogg Vorbis is the only way to go. However, this
also proves my point that Complete Open Source solutions don't allways work
for everyone. The two main examples are:

1) The poor Office droid who is working at a pre-configured workstation
running M$ Windows ( As if you could call Windows a workstation? ) any the
only app available for sound files is M£ Media Player. This still requires
mp3 and probably will change to a M$ propriatory format soon.

2) The person wanting to take his music with him in a portable player. This
has a brighter future, as there are many Open Source projects working on
this and Open Source is Ideal for development of these players. I know
there is an Empeg player for the car that is Linux based and probably could
be easily updated to include Ogg Vorbis, if it's not included already.

For myself, I still use mp3 because I don't agree with the patent claim and
I don't expect that they will come after me anyway. If I had some skills
that I could offer to help the project I would be helping the development
with all the free time I could spare. When ever I'm asked to recomend a
format, I'm sure to explain the advantages of Ogg Vorbis over mp3, but we
still need to remember those who do not have access to use the software of
their choice.

Cheers,

     John Gay