Re: Kde 2.2 Beta1

On Thursday 12 July 2001 22:22, mikepolniak wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2001 14:24, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > On Jul 11 2001, Laurent Rathle wrote:
> > > Which is the best way if I want to install Kde 2.2 Beta1? I've
> > > downloaded the .deb from ftp.kde.org. Could it cause any problem for
> > > any future update with apt-get if I install this version?
> >
> > 	Well, I guess that the best way for this would be to use apt's
> > 	new pinning feature -- with it, you should be able to still
> > 	use testing while grabbing some packages from unstable.
> >
> > 	Unfortunately, I'm not with a computer with a new apt and I
> > 	can't tell you how to use that feature.
>
> I just did apt-get -fu install task-kde
> I also needed to apt-get install konqueror but the beta konqueror
> crashes way more than the old one and i' am stuck with it because
> of the dependencies.

Well run without problem on unstable.  Therefore it's a dependency problem.
I did more or less the same as you did and konqueror (and the other
apps I wanted to test) work without problem.

So try:

   dpkg -l | egrep ' 2.1.[12]|1.1-beta[12]'

and update them all.  Hopefully their dependencies get all the other
packges that are needed.  My guess is that some dependencies are wrong but
maintaining them with all this shared lib loading during runtime is a
night mare because ldd can't catch them.

Achim