micro HOWTO: Upgrading to KDE2.2 beta1
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Here is a rough description of what I did to upgrade to KDE2.2 beta1
I had previously played around with the alpha so I knew at once that there
were major configuration incompatibilities.
Surely rm -rf .kde isn't a good idea.
I got the cleanest setup by simply discarding some of the less important
1) First backup your entire .kde dir to a safe location.
2) After you make sure that you have really satisfied all package
dependencies, etc. run KDE.
3) Don't be mad at the configuration wizard that greets you. It's a good
thing. Follow through the options. Beware some of the visual
effects/enhancements which might be buggy. Especially, don't turn on
anti-aliasing unless you've read and successfully tested anti-aliasing, it
may leave you with a blank screen. Also some GL screensavers may crash.
4) It's best if you have a somewhat conservative setup at this stage. Don't
try to configure and run everything, first make sure that it works. You might
want to log out and re login to test if your configuration works now. Though
not really necessary unless you've made changes that you're not sure of.
5) As Achim Bonet has kindly reminded that you can check ~/.xsession-errors
to see where it may have gone wrong.
6) When you're safely back in, consider porting important bits of your old
configuration by hand. These are some of the things you may want to copy over
to your new .kde
Most configurations can simply be ported by copying entire dirs or specific
files.All I did was cp -R
7) Check that you can access your old personal information and you're done!
I can confidently say that this is by far the best desktop experience on
linux, and it seems to be as stable as kde2.1.2
Eray Ozkural (exa) <email@example.com>
Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
GPG public key fingerprint: 360C 852F 88B0 A745 F31B EA0F 7C07 AE16 874D 539C
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: For info see http://www.gnupg.org
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----