Re: preset bookmarks

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 05:24:01PM -0600, Bruce Sass wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Jul 2001, Ivan E. Moore II wrote:
> <..>
> > I totally disagree.  It's KDE specific and therefore if it's going to be
> > a conffile it should go into the kde area.
>
> Or you can look at it this way:
>
> /etc is for system-wide defaults,
> *except* /etc/skel which is for per-user defaults.
>
> Unless you are planning on setting up a system-wide bookmark file that
> every user will see, independent of and in addition to fiddling with a
> USER's .kde directory...
>
> ...we are gonna have to just disagree.

uhhh....Bruce...keep up with the discussion.

let me state this again.  this IS for system-wide bookmarks or first time
user settings.  Either would be acceptable.

/etc/skel is for per-user defaults yes...however only handles those users who
have not even been created.  This is good, but only handles 1/3 of the problem.

I have submitted a bug to KDE to address the true needs which is a sysytem-wide
bookmarks file that if it exists would be included into the Bookmarks menu
in the same way the Netscape Bookmarks are.

> > no it does not.  it only does part of what we want.  However it only takes
> > care of new users...so all those existing users who have never used kde
> > before will not be able to take advantage of this.  So it is not the
> > correct solution.
>
> Of course it is not the complete solution, there is no way around
> scripting something to look after pre-existing KDE users (I assumed
> that is what this whole exercise was about).

yes there is a way around it...and that is what this whole exercise was
about.

/etc/skel is not the solution...the solution must end up being in /etc/kde2

Ivan
--
Ivan E. Moore II