Re: local KDE programs

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:

> Hi Ivan and all,
>
> Where should we be installing local programs in? I install KDE
> programs with --prefix=/usr/local and they don't seem to work
> correctly unless I install them under /usr. They will not be
> able to access their data files and so forth. How can I install
> my local programs under /usr/local and have them work without
> such problems?
>
> The problem so far occured at least with kbiff and ksetiwatch.
> They insist on being installed directly in /usr which leaves
> a lot of cruft.

If you are running testing or unstable you can package them up
relatively painlessly.

	cd <src-root>
	<figure out what ./configure arguments you want|need>

Debianize with...

	dh_make --custom /usr/share/doc/kdelibs-dev/dh-make

...edit a bit (scarrier than it sounds, but do read the Debian
Policy Manual <or whatever it is called> first, and trust that
Ivan knew what he was doing when he made the template)...

	debuild		# or "debian/rules binary", or "debian/rules"
			# depending on if you want to build and check
			# a .deb, build a .deb, or see what will be
			# built

Hmmm, I wonder if a "back-ported" dh_make and template would work well
for Potato-KDE users?

- Bruce