Logout Script

How can I start a script to read any input before KDE exits?

Before KDE 2.1 I had this in .xsession:

,----
| <do some stuff>
| # Now start KDE
| startkde
| # KDE has finished, start a xterm with a logout script
| xterm -e path_to_logout_script
`----

When I quit KDE the xterm opens and starts the logout script. This
script can start a backup and reads user input with the "read"
command. Worked quite well in KDE 2.0 but not in 2.1: Now the xterm
pops up but I can't enter any letters, no input in this xterm
possible.

Is there a clean way to start a logout script when I exit KDE?

TIA,

        Burkhard