Re: task-kde only marginally useful

> > > Hmmm, no easy way to have the task depend on the most recent versions
> > > of its components, or is it more complicated than that?
> >
> > heck no.  It would require that task-kde be updated constantly with the
> > latest versions of every package it refers to.
>
> right... not an easy thing to script?
> (hmmm, could it be generalized into a "task manager" packaging tool)

probably, but read below

> > And beyond that it defeats
> > the purpose of a task.
>
> How so?  Installing the task would still get you everything, plus you
> would get an upgrade if you already had the task installed.

The task packages are a poor hack to solve a problem.  They don't work
properly and are a big waste of space.  the Packages file is big enough as
it is then to add versions to every package that task-kde depends on?

> I realize this kind of behaviour would only be useful (visible) to
> unstable users... but isn't that where it is needed (so one can track
> unstable-KDE without tracking all of unstable), and wouldn't that
> result in more potential beta testers for the packages (by virtue of
> lowering the bar to tracking unstable-KDE).

I understand your needs...however I'm not looking at task-kde being a solution
for upgrades as it's just not going to work that way and I'm not going to
spend the time needed and take the heet from other developers just to take
care of this.  I'm focusing on release and getting everything to a point where
a new users can do a apt-get install task-kde or use tasksel and install a
stock system with kde.

Ivan

--
Ivan E. Moore II